Welcome to Oakley Ramblers website. We are a group of people, mainly from Oakley and the surrounding area who enjoy walking in the Hampshire countryside. The club was begun in September 1976 and currently has about 40 members. So if you like walking and live in this area then why not come along and join us? We are always looking for new members and you will be made very welcome.
What do we do?
- Weekend walks are every 3 or 4 weeks on either a Saturday or Sunday. (They can be morning, afternoon or all day.)
- Weekday walks are generally every 4 weeks on Wednesdays or Fridays. (They can be morning, afternoon or all day.)
- In summer there is an occasional evening walk of about 4 – 5 miles.
- Morning and afternoon walks are usually between 4 -7 miles All day walks are about 7 -12 miles.
- The route and distance of each walk is decided by the walk leader. Details are then published on this website about 10 days before the walk, under the tab Next Walk, at the top of this page..
- The dates for our current walks can be found under Walks Diary 2021 at the top of this page.
- Walks are lead by any club members who want to volunteer.
Who can join?
- Anyone from anywhere of any age! So if you like walking then come and join us.
- If you are young and like walking,
- If you are working inside all week and want to get outdoors
- If you have family you want to encourage to be more active
- If you are retired and want some exercise, we welcome you all!
Where do we meet?
- We meet in the lay-by near Oakley Junior School and usually share transport to the start of the walk
- Coordinates are also provided beforehand for those that prefer to meet at the walk location
Where do we walk?
- Generally we walk within a 30 minute drive from Oakley
- Longer walks further afield are arranged from time to time.
- We also walk longer trails in stages such as the Kennet and Avon Canal Towpath & Avon Valley Path
- Once a year a walking weekend away is organised with 3 different walking levels
- We have a Christmas party and a couple of additional social events throughout the year
- After each walk there is often the opportunity to socialise in the pub, for those that have the time. Some also stay for a meal but if time is pressing others head off home after the walk
How much does it cost?
- There are no charges if you simply want to try us out on a walk or two
- If you do decide to join, there is a modest fee of £5 per person per annum.
Clothing and footwear?
- It really depends on the weather but, if you want to walk all year round, then you will need some walking shoes/boots and a waterproof jacket